Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Fighting the Demon Called Mono

About 3 weeks ago my life drastically changed. I went to bed on a Sunday night, slept horribly with a fever, and woke up with a painful sore throat. So off to the doctor I went only to be diagnosed with mono... Mono?!?
Thus my days dramatically shrunk as I attempted to get 10+ hours of sleep per night coupled with an additional nap during the day. The biggest thing I missed was being active, but all I felt like doing was laying around. Thankfully the Winter Olympics were on TV and I quickly got into a routine of watching the Games during breaks between homework and studying. Besides the increased sleep, I got some "all natural" remedies sent from my mom: elderberry extract, elderberry/echinacea tea, vitamin C supplement, and beef liver pills (smell like dog food but really aren't that bad).
All of it seemed to work though, and I've felt markedly better everyday since being diagnosed. Last week I would even wake up before my alarm in the morning feeling refreshed as if my body had finally gotten enough sleep (that was a feeling I don't think I've had before). Knowing that, I decided that I was ready to tag along with the Outdoor Club trip to Guadalupe Peak and Carlsbad Caverns last weekend. So, the time from learning that I had the disease until summitting Texas's highest point was just under 3 weeks. I have to credit being in good shape, eating healthy, being disciplined about sleeping a lot, and taking huge horse pills!
I can't say that I'm thankful for this experience, but I realize that it has helped me prioritize my time by what's really important, learn patience, and understand how much I miss being able to do all the activities that I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment