Thursday, March 25, 2010

Bodies (and Stomachs) in Motion

I just got back from an all expenses paid trip with the Honors College to the "Bodies in Motion" (check out their website, there is a lot of information available) exhibit in Dallas. I had some clue what I was getting myself into, but was almost overwhelmed by the actual exposition. The exhibit shows human bodies preserved so they don't decay as an educational tool for the public. As you walk through the location, the displays take you through the various systems of the body: skeletal, muscular, respiratory, etc. It's like walking into a human anatomy textbook! For a geek like me, I saw the opportunity as a treasure chest of knowledge just waiting to be dug through. My plan was to read every display and listen to each station on the audio tour, but there was so much to absorb that by the end I was grateful there were the actual body parts there to look at, I couldn't read any more.

I have heard of some controversy regarding the exhibit itself. Some of you reading this blog might have a negative view toward displaying the deceases humans in this way. My view point of the idea is positive for two reasons:
  1. First, medical doctors and students look at similar cadavers to gain knowledge and training for their work. I see this as an opportunity for the general public to have access to an exciting learning tool. I can read about the body in a book and see pictures galore, but to see what's actually inside of your own body is indescribable. For instance, I would be looking at a display of the muscles in the shoulder and involuntarily find myself moving my arm around and flexing my own shoulder to try and "feel" what I was seeing. It also seemed as if everyone viewing the exhibit had some connection to the displays: one lady had broken her shoulder and could see what she was rehabbing (Mom, you could have appreciated that one...)
  2. Secondly, I found it inspiring to be looking at the human body, the pinnacle of God's creation, in a totally new way. Everything was completely exposed in all its glory. The subtle intricacies of the individual systems were highlighted and I felt like I can appreciate human life better.
After the exhibit, we were treated to possibly the best mexican restaurant I have ever eaten at. The restaurant is called La Familia and is native to the DFW area for over a decade. The atmosphere is amazing and lucked out and beat the early dinner rush, being the only group in the restaurant for a good portion of our meal! As you walk in you are professionally greeted with a handshake and a "Welcome!" The walls are all covered in old family photographs of the owner, Al Cavazos. They claim to prepare all their food fresh daily and I'd believe it: their salsa especially was out of this world, just make sure to hold off enough until your actual meal arrives. The main entrees were light and savory, not bogged down with a lot of cheese and grease that you often experience at similar establishments. Besides the food, the service was extremely friendly and personable, not to mention prompt. We even had a conversation with Al himself and he told us stories of some of the pictures on the walls and shared the history of the restaurant. To sum up, if you are ever traveling through Ft. Worth with a hankering for some grub, this is the place to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment